Nov 23, 2009

Please, not These Women


Dear Meg Ryan,

Let me start by saying, I am a huge fan. Harry met Sally was one of the first few Hollywood films I ever watched and needless to say I was hooked. Not only by the glamorous lights, music and action but also by blond hair and blue eyes.

After that it was one rom-com after another. My friends and I would meet every week just to watch a romantic comedy and most often than not, it would be one of your films. Addicted to Love, You´ve got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle, City of Angels (not  rom-com you say, have you seen Nicholas Cage in it?). And that was the start of my obsession with Chick flicks. I would make all excuses to watch one, laugh with you, cry with you and shamefacedly defend it in front of my friends. French Kiss was the door that opened doors to love affairs from another world, a more exotic one. You´ve got Mail was more with the times, for a long time I hoped to find love which would go 'Ping!'. Kate and Leopold proved that anything was possible with Love.

Now when the going was so good, The Women, really? A movie that even I cannot make excuses for. A movie which was probably made by a woman PMSing while riding a camel on crack? A movie probably made secretly by all the men who are tortured by their women to watch this genre and have secretly formed a club and made this movie only so that their girls will switch to action movies?  A movie which makes Jada Pinkett Smith look like a first timer and you like a shrieking banshee with a fetish for Medusa-ish hair? The storyline (yes, even chick flicks have them) where was it, did you lose it with your mind? Please, redeem yourself, do something and by that I do not mean Serious Moonlight.

Take a break Sally. You need it. And comb your hair.

With love


No comments:

Post a Comment